Lynne Peterson is the Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine.
Here is the medical news to watch for Jan. 17-23, 2022.
Interventional radiology: The International Symposium on Endovascular Therapy (ISET) will be a hybrid meeting Jan. 16-19 in Hollywood, FL, and virtually. It is not just for interventional radiologists but also vascular surgeons and interventional cardiologists. There will be more live cases than ever this year. Topics will include critical limb ischemia (CLI), peripheral artery disease (PAD), advanced venous intervention, advances in embolotherapy, aortic and peripheral aneurysms, aortic dissection techniques, and interventions for deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE). Covid-19 vaccination does not appear to be a requirement for attendance.
Oncology: The hybrid ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium (ASCO-GI) will be take place in San Francisco and virtually Jan. 20-22. This is the meeting for the latest research and science across all GI cancers. Among the data to watch are:
- Colorectal cancer (CRC):
- Hepatocellular cancer: Phase I/II dose-escalation data on Abivax’s ABX-196, a liposomal glycolipid iNKT agonist, in combination with nivolumab (Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Opdivo), a PD-1 inhibitor.
- Pancreatic cancer:
- Phase Ib data for Panbela Therapeutics’ SBP-101, a polyamine metabolic inhibitor.
- Phase II/III data from the PanCAN-Precision Promise trial of Tyme Technologies’ racemetyrosine (SM-88) + gemcitabine.
- Phase II data from the QUILT-88 trial of ImmunityBio’s NANT cancer vaccine (licensed from CytRx) + Anktiva (N-803), an IL-15 superagonist.
- Solid tumors:
- The Hawaiian Eye and Retina meeting is continuing in person on Hawaii’s Big Island through Jan. 21.
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute’s completely virtual glaucoma symposium, Glaucomania, will take place Jan. 22. The symposium isn’t just for glaucoma specialists but also ophthalmologists whose practice includes adult glaucoma care, with vignettes and practice pearls used to illustrate topics in the diagnosis, monitoring, and clinical and surgical management of glaucoma.
Regulatory: FDA has no webinars, webcasts, or advisory committee meetings of interest scheduled during this period.
Lynne Peterson, Contributing Writer, Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine
Kaiser Health News
Kaiser Health News is a nonprofit news service covering health issues. It is an editorially independent program of the Kaiser Family Foundation, which is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente.