Here are the answers to our Clinical Challenge Quiz to test exactly what you are taking away from ASCO.
1. Results from the MONALEESA-7, a trial of the CDK4/6 inhibitor ribociclib, were reported at ASCO 2019. The inclusion criteria for this trial differed from previous trials of CDK4/6 inhibitors in what way?
A. The trial only enrolled women with early-stage HR+/HER- breast cancer
B. The trial only enrolled premenopausal women with advanced HR+/HER- breast cancer
C. The trial only enrolled premenopausal women with HR+/HER- breast cancer irrespective of stage
2. In the MONALEESA-7 study investigators found that women randomized to ribociclib had “a 29% lower risk of death (hazard ratio for death, 0.71; 95% CI, 0.54 to 0.95; P = 0.00973 by log-rank test).” That finding was also unique because:
A. It was the first study to demonstrate improved overall survival for a targeted therapy
B. It was the first study to demonstrate improved overall survival for premenopausal women with advanced HR+/HER2- breast cancer
C. It was the first study to investigate overall survival with CDK4/6 inhibitor therapy
3. Findings from studies of what two drugs were cited by Angelo Di Leo, MD, when he recommended that CDK4/6 inhibitor therapy should be the new standard of care for first line treatment of premenopausal women with advanced HR+/HER- breast cancer?
A. Ribociclib and palbociclib
B. Palbociclib and abemaciclib
C. Ribociclib and abemaciclib
4. MONALEESA-7 is a landmark analysis, but additional long-term follow-up is planned. True or False?
5. Among the breast cancer studies reported at ASCO 2019 were NALA III, SOPHIA, FAKTION, and IMpassion 130. Which of these trials provided evidence to support this statement: All triple negative breast cancer patients should be tested for PD-L1?
A. NALA III
D. Impassion 130
6. The theme of ASCO 2019 was “Caring for Every Patient, Learning from Every Patient”. As part of that theme, a survivor of metastatic breast cancer — a metavivor — addressed the attendees. What was her message about how her disease should be characterized?
A. She asked that her disease not be called chronic
B. She asked that oncologists recognize that she is living with a terminal disease
C. She said that saying her metastatic disease was now chronic disrespected her and her disease
D. All of the above
7. The POLO trial in patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer reported benefit for a novel therapy. Which statement best describes the POLO trial findings?
A. Patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer who carried germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations did not respond to treatment with olaparib, a PARP inhibitor
B. Patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer who carried germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations who were treated with olaparib had significantly better survival than controls
C. Progression-free survival was doubled — 7.4 months versus 3.8 months — and median duration of response was 24.9 months versus 3.7 months, but interim overall survival data (at 46% maturity) showed no difference between arms
8. ASCO 2019 featured several studies that looked at a possible association between access to healthcare under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and through federal programs, Medicare and Medicaid. In one study, which was presented at a plenary session, researchers reported what specific finding related to Medicaid expansion?
A. Earlier diagnosis of ovarian cancer
B. Eradication of racial disparity in access to care
C. Improved survival for multiple myeloma
9. Results of a study that randomized patients with advanced gastric cancer to either pembrolizumab or platinum-based chemotherapy was termed “practice-changing” for what reason?
A. Pembrolizumab achieved a significantly better overall survival
B. Pembrolizumab was non-inferior to chemotherapy, but had a more favorable side-effect profile
C. Chemotherapy was significantly less costly and was well-tolerated
10. Two studies in men with metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer were featured in ASCO presentations and published in The New England Journal of Medicine, TITAN and ENZAMET. In both studies, testosterone suppression preceded randomization to the study drug. True or False?