Women have unmet FP needs because of difficulties in accessing or using contraceptives. In Lebanon, information from the scientific literature on the national prevalence of contraceptive use appears scarce.

This study was done with a purpose to measure the current Lebanese national prevalence of FP methods’ uptake among women and men of reproductive age, and we assessed barriers for potential unmet needs.

It was a cross-sectional survey on a nationally representative sample of 825 married women and men of reproductive age. We used the validated DHS data collection tool and analyzed data with SPSS Version 22.0 with p values <0.05 considered statistically significant.

The study calculated that the current prevalence of contraceptive use is 55.6%, the unmet need is 11.4%, the total demand for FP is 67% and the percentage of satisfied demand for FP is 83%.

The study concluded that it is needed to ensure the implementation of effective interventions at the national level to promote and encourage the uptake of modern FP methods among couples. The latter will further promote maternal and child health, as well as empower women to fulfill their equal function in society.

Reference: https://srh.bmj.com/content/45/4/269