Advertisement

 

 

Factors Associated With Risky Alcohol Consumption Among Male Street Laborers in Urban Vietnam.

Factors Associated With Risky Alcohol Consumption Among Male Street Laborers in Urban Vietnam.
Author Information (click to view)

Mylona L, Huy NV, Ha PN, Riggi E, Marrone G,


Mylona L, Huy NV, Ha PN, Riggi E, Marrone G, (click to view)

Mylona L, Huy NV, Ha PN, Riggi E, Marrone G,

Advertisement

Substance use & misuse 2017 06 0152(9) 1170-1180 doi 10.1080/10826084.2017.1302480

Abstract
BACKGROUND
Alcohol consumption is of global concern. However, drinking patterns and associated factors remain under-investigated, especially among low socioeconomic groups such as street laborers.

OBJECTIVE
Using the social cognitive model as a framework for the study we aimed to identify factors associated with risky alcohol consumption.

METHODS
In a cross-sectional study using structured questionnaires, 450 male street laborers searching for casual works in Hanoi, Vietnam were interviewed. A logistic regression was applied in order to detect predictors of risky alcohol drinking.

RESULTS
During the last month, 45% of the participants reported daily consumption while the other 55% consumed weekly or less. Among the drinkers (416 out of 450, 92%), 27% were identified as high-risk drinkers who reported more than 14 standard drinks per week, while only 8% were lifetime abstainers. The multivariable logistic regression showed that older age, higher income were positively associated with a higher likelihood of drinking alcohol, while high school level negatively. The environmental predictor was the higher level of peer connection. The association between drinking and risky behavior was found positive with regards to the number of sexual partners.

CONCLUSIONS
The study suggests that male street laborers are vulnerable to health risks. Decision makers should note that a significant proportion of this target group exceeds the guidelines for alcohol use and this should be included in future interventions or further research. A multisectoral approach together with an important strategy of education is needed to control alcohol use.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

3 × one =

[ HIDE/SHOW ]