Lynne Peterson is the Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine.
Here is the medical news to watch for Oct. 5-11, 2020.
- The Heart Failure Society of America (HFSA) virtual annual scientific meeting is continuing through Oct. 6.
- The FDA’s Circulatory System Devices Advisory Committee will hold a virtual meeting on Oct. 7 on TransMedics’ Organ Care System (OCS) Heart, a portable ex-vivo normothermic organ perfusion and monitoring system for resuscitation, preservation, assessment, and transport of donor hearts.
Gastroenterology: United European Gastroenterology UEG Week will start virtually on Oct. 11 with opening lectures.
Neurology: The American Neurological Association (ANA) virtual meeting is continuing through Oct. 9.
Orthopedics: The North American Spine Society (NASS) virtual meeting will take place Oct. 6-9. Topics include: cerebrospinal fluid leak prevention, surgical techniques, spine deformity, spine trauma, fusion, and more.
Pain: The FDA is expected to make a decision by Oct. 10 on Avenue Therapeutics’ IV formulation of tramadol for treating moderate-to-moderately severe pain.
Psychiatry: The FDA’s Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee will hold a joint virtual meeting with the FDA’s Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee on:
- Arbor Pharmaceuticals’ amphetamine sulfate immediate-release for treating attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) on Oct. 8.
- Alkermes’ ALKS-3831 (olanzapine/samidorphan) for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder on Oct. 9.
- The FDA is hosting a virtual public meeting on Oct. 6 on patient-focused drug development for stimulant use disorder. The FDA is looking for input from individuals who are struggling or have struggled with the use of cocaine, crystal meth, methamphetamine, or misuse of prescription stimulants such as Teva’s Adderall (amphetamine + dextroamphetamine) or Novartis’ Ritalin (methylphenidate). The Agency also is interested in the health effects of misuse of these drugs, the impact of opioids, treatment goals, and factors considered when seeking/selecting a treatment.
- The FDA is holding a virtual public workshop, in collaboration with the University of Maryland Center of Excellence in Regulatory Science & Innovation, on Oct. 8 on assessing changes in the pharmacokinetics (PK) of drugs to treat liver disease.
- The FDA is holding a webcast on Oct. 8 on the bioequivalence (both in vitro and in vivo) of complex topical generic drugs.
- The FDA’s Nanotechnology Task Force is holding a NanoDay Virtual Research Symposium on Oct. 9 to showcase the Agency’s progress and innovation in nanotechnology.
Urology: The American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS) Pelvic Floor Disorders (PFD) Week will take place virtually Oct. 8-10. Topics will include innovation, pharmacotherapy, imaging, reconstruction, vulvovaginal pain, and more.
Lynne Peterson, Contributing Writer, Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine
Cat ID: 707
Topic ID: 74,707,393,438,707,188,130,208,192,53,54,57,418,725,241,925