Advertisement

 

 

Phase 2 trial of a multivalent WT1 peptide vaccine (galinpepimut-S) in acute myeloid leukemia.

Phase 2 trial of a multivalent WT1 peptide vaccine (galinpepimut-S) in acute myeloid leukemia.
Author Information (click to view)

Maslak PG, Dao T, Bernal Y, Chanel SM, Zhang R, Frattini M, Rosenblat T, Jurcic JG, Brentjens RJ, Arcila ME, Rampal R, Park JH, Douer D, Katz L, Sarlis N, Tallman MS, Scheinberg DA,


Maslak PG, Dao T, Bernal Y, Chanel SM, Zhang R, Frattini M, Rosenblat T, Jurcic JG, Brentjens RJ, Arcila ME, Rampal R, Park JH, Douer D, Katz L, Sarlis N, Tallman MS, Scheinberg DA, (click to view)

Maslak PG, Dao T, Bernal Y, Chanel SM, Zhang R, Frattini M, Rosenblat T, Jurcic JG, Brentjens RJ, Arcila ME, Rampal R, Park JH, Douer D, Katz L, Sarlis N, Tallman MS, Scheinberg DA,

Advertisement

Blood advances 2(3) 224-234 doi 10.1182/bloodadvances.2017014175

Abstract

A National Cancer Institute consensus study on prioritization of cancer antigens ranked the Wilms tumor 1 (WT1) protein as the top immunotherapy target in cancer. We previously reported a pilot study of a multivalent WT1 peptide vaccine (galinpepimut-S) in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) patients. We have now conducted a phase 2 study investigating this vaccine in adults with AML in first complete remission (CR1). Patients received 6 vaccinations administered over 10 weeks with the potential to receive 6 additional monthly doses if they remained in CR1. Immune responses (IRs) were evaluated after the 6th and 12th vaccinations by CD4T-cell proliferation, CD8T-cell interferon-γ secretion (enzyme-linked immunospot), or the CD8-relevant WT1 peptide major histocompatibility complex tetramer assay (HLA-A*02 patients only). Twenty-two patients (7 males; median age, 64 years) were treated. Fourteen patients (64%) completed ≥6 vaccinations, and 9 (41%) received all 12 vaccine doses. Fifteen patients (68%) relapsed, and 10 (46%) died. The vaccine was well tolerated, with the most common toxicities being grade 1/2 injection site reactions (46%), fatigue (32%), and skin induration (32%). Median disease-free survival from CR1 was 16.9 months, whereas the overall survival from diagnosis has not yet been reached but is estimated to be ≥67.6 months. Nine of 14 tested patients (64%) had an IR in ≥1 assay (CD4 or CD8). These results indicated that the WT1 vaccine was well tolerated, stimulated a specific IR, and was associated with survival in excess of 5 years in this cohort of patients. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT01266083.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

seventeen − 9 =

[ HIDE/SHOW ]