Advertisement

 

 

The quality of voluntary medical male circumcision done by mid-level workers in Tshwane District, South Africa: A retrospective analysis.

The quality of voluntary medical male circumcision done by mid-level workers in Tshwane District, South Africa: A retrospective analysis.
Author Information (click to view)

Ngcobo S, Wolvaardt JE, Bac M, Webb E,


Ngcobo S, Wolvaardt JE, Bac M, Webb E, (click to view)

Ngcobo S, Wolvaardt JE, Bac M, Webb E,

Advertisement
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

PloS one 2018 01 1913(1) e0190795 doi 10.1371/journal.pone.0190795
Abstract
BACKGROUND
Voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) reduces the acquisition of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in heterosexual men by up to 60%. One HIV infection is averted for every 5 to 15 VMMCs. To conduct VMMCs in large populations, large numbers of trained healthcare professionals are needed. Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa have a high burden of HIV and a shortage of healthcare professionals, creating a healthcare conundrum. To bridge this gap, South Africa launched a new cadre of mid-level medical worker called Clinical Associates (CA). We assessed the ability of CAs to perform circumcisions of adequate quality and their subsequent usefulness to meet the demands of VMMCs in a population with a high HIV burden.

METHODS
We conducted a retrospective analysis, reviewing patient files (n = 4850) of surgical VMMCs conducted over a 16-month period. Patient files were sourced from clinics and hospitals that provided free VMMCs in Tshwane district in South Africa.

FINDINGS
Clinical associates performed 88.66% of the circumcisions and doctors performed the remaining 11.34% (p < 0.001). The number of adverse events did not differ between the two groups. Data on intra-operative adverse events were available for 4 738 patients. Of these, 341 (7.2%) experienced intra-operative adverse events. For the whole sample, 44 (8.1%, n = 543) adverse events occurred during circumcisions done by doctors and 297 (7.1%, n = 4195) occurred during circumcisions done by CAs (p = 0.385). Clinical associates performed circumcisions in shorter times (duration: 14.63 minutes) compared to doctors (duration: 15.25 minutes, t = -7.46; p < 0.001). Recorded pain, bleeding, swelling, infection and wound destruction did not differ between clients circumcised by CAs and doctors. This study is limited by the use of data from a single district. CONCLUSIONS
Clinical associates contribute to the demands for high numbers of VMMCs in Tshwane district, South Africa. Clinical associates perform VMMCs at a clinical standard that is comparable to circumcisions performed by doctors.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 + 7 =

[ HIDE/SHOW ]