WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he would issue a statement about the World Health Organization in the near future and said it had “done a very sad job” in its handling of the coronavirus.
Trump told a White House event he would make a decision about U.S. WHO funding soon, and that he had he considered reducing it to $40 million, but some felt that was too much. Asked why he had not addressed a virtual ministerial meeting of the WHO earlier in the day, he replied:
“I chose not to make a statement today. I’ll be giving them a statement, sometime in the near future, but … I think they’ve done a very sad job in the last period of time.”
(Reporting by Jeff Mason, Tim Ahmann, Doina Chiacu and David Brunnstrom; Editing by Sandra Maler)