The Daily Mail reported a woman in Wales had her feet on the dashboard when the car she was riding in was involved in a motor vehicle crash. When the airbag deployed, she suffered the injuries seen in the x-ray (right).
Her right femur was dislocated and protruding through the skin of her medial thigh. Her left femur was also broken. The police sergeant who released the photo called the injuries “horrific.” Other stories said authorities used the term “life changing.”
In Ireland, a woman had her feet on the dashboard when the car her boyfriend was driving skidded and struck a wall. The airbag pushed her knees back which broke nearly every bone in her face and caused a cerebrospinal fluid leak. A few months after the injury, her infected frontal bone became infected and had to be removed resulting in the what you see (left).
And wear your seat belt.A ceramic prosthesis was inserted 2 years later. A total of 16 operations were required to repair all of the damage. Bottom line: Don’t put your feet on the dashboard.
The final case involves a different part of the body. According to TV station KMOV4, a woman in Arizona required surgery to remove a vibrator from her urinary bladder. How did it get in there? Here’s the story. She purchased a $149.00 Vesper Vibrator Necklace. (Right)
She was using it with her boyfriend on the outside of her body. She said, “I moved and out of nowhere I just felt really sharp pain.” The vibrator had disappeared. Because it was still vibrating, she realized it was inside her. The story said several doctors [?] did pelvic exams and couldn’t find it. After looking at the x-ray below, a gynecologist deduced it was in the bladder.
Laparoscopic surgery was necessary to remove the device. Whether it could have been removed through the urethra if the chain of the necklace had been left attached is debatable but probably wouldn’t have been successful.
When a reporter for the TV station asked her if she was finished with sex toys, she said, “Probably.” She is planning to sue the company that made the necklace because the label did not have a warning that what happened to her could occur “during normal use.”
Skeptical Scalpel is a retired surgeon and was a surgical department chair and residency program director for many years. He is board-certified in general surgery and a surgical sub-specialty and has re-certified in both several times.For the last 9 years, he has been blogging at SkepticalScalpel.blogspot.com and tweeting as @SkepticScalpel. His blog has had more than 3,700,000 page views, and he has over 21,000 followers on Twitter.