Cleveland Clinic: “If We Could See Inside Others’ Hearts”

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

A profound look at life in a 4-minute video. The camera shows the inner lives of people in a hospital as they go about their daily lives. Produced by the Cleveland Clinic, we get a peek as to what their story entails—worry, sadness, joy, bad news, good news, anxiety, and fear. It’s a reminder that we all go through struggles in life, and we should treat others with the benefit of the doubt, with courtesy, with compassion, and with respect.

24 Comments

1. Very touching!

2. Very good video!

3. Good Video!

4. Interesting

5. Was A Great Video.

6. good video

7. it was very good video

8. It Was A Very Interesting Video.

9. Thanks for the eye opener. I now view people and there moods differently. thanks for sharing and for opening my eyes

10. very moving. I now see people differently and some of there moods. thanks for sharing and opening my eyes.

11. This is a very moving video, I am in heath care and I am one who takes what I do seriously, I feel for people who have medical and emotional issues. No matter what my personal issues are, I know that the people that I am helping deserves 100% of my attention and I leave all of my issues at the door when I walk on to the job. One min. of my time could mean the world to the person I am working with. Giving more compassion is a way to give a hug to each and every one of my patients and there families.

12. a very realistic and sad view at what all of us see every day. more than brings home of how we should treat our fellow man.

13. I love this video!

14. Great video, I am sad to see that it is from Cleveland Clinic. I know that they are a premier hospital for heart surgery. They turned down my now late husband for life saving heart surgery because he had no insurance (26 yrs old). His cardiologist made several attempts to get him to be seen at a hospital with better facilities with more resources to help him (he ultimately needed an LVAD which would lead to a full heart transplant). Finally they ended up doing aortic valve surgery at a local public hospital in Denver (they do not have access to the things these other “bigger and better” hospitals have so he never got an LVAD or a transplant). I hate to be bitter but seeing this movie about having a heart coming from them is like a slap in the face.

• Dear Jam, So sorry for your experience. I understand how you feel! Would you let me share something with you? Here it is: (Hope you read it).
      • God commands that we forgive each other.
      “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
      • God wants us to forgive others because He
      forgives us
      “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” (Colossians 3:13)
      • God wants us to see unforgiveness as sin.
      “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” (James 4:17)
      • God wants us to get rid of unforgiveness and have a heart of mercy.
      “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” (Matthew 5:7)
      • God wants us to do our part to live in peace with everyone.
      “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” (Romans 12:18)
      • God wants us to overcome evil with good.
      “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:21)
      • God wants us to be ministers of reconciliation.
      “God… reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.” (2 Corinthians 5:18-19)
      Please do not let this experience make you bitter: “See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.” (Hebrews 12:15)
      May God bless you and keep you in His everlasting love!

15. As a former nurse and hospital department head, I can say that EVERYONE WHO WORKS IN A HOSPITAL SHOULD SEE THIS VIDEO IN ORIENTATION TRAINING — including new residents and medical students.

16. John,

“this one has failed to say what the producer wanted to say.”

And you know what the producer wanted to say?

17. @Magnus is absolutely right. @Scott, it doesn’t matter what the producers “meant [it] to be”. What matters is how the majority of people see it as *actually* being. It’s not a question of being silly or offensive. It’s a simple “technical” matter. Videos are, like all media, *language*. And this one has failed to say what the producer wanted to say. It happens sometimes.

Sure, the *intended* message was “If you could stand in someone else’s shoes … Would you treat them differently?”. But that’s not the message the video manages to convey. Instead, the actual message I got was the deep sadness and hopelessness going on at Cleveland. The morose music, the slo-mo, the sad gazes into the distance; and those awful messages, with only the occasional relief from the doom.

And all of that — to the point — is being nicely pounded into our neurons to be associated with Cleveland “Every life deserves world class care” Clinic!

This is a simple video production fail. I’d be smacking a producer/director on the head and telling him to give me a new cut. (Notice, I’m giving him a second attempt! 🙂 These things happen; it doesn’t make him a bad person. But it *really* needs fixed.)

18. This is a great video. If we could see as God sees, how different our world would be. The underlying message is positive and transformational. Thanks for sharing it. I give it 5 stars!

19. I hope everyone takes this message to heart and recognizes that every person out there has hopes, worries, joys, sadness, and trouble that we don’t understand. Treat everybody like you want to be treated, and you’ll make their load a little lighter.

20. I have had 3 heart surgeries, two in my twenties and one 11 years ago at 46 at the Cleveland Clinic. I had AAA service and the best experience at Cleveland Clinic and I am sure teaching their staff to treat all patients in this manner is part of the reason. I also work in health care and this is important, to remember that you never know what is important to anyone you might interact with daily.

21. Beautiful. I had open-heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic nearly two years ago, and I found the people there to be wonderfully compassionate and understanding. If this video is part of their training program, it’s working!

22. Magnus… To criticize this video for not meeting your expectations fir what it should have been is silly. I am sure CkevelNd Clinic will consult you creative before its next one. The fact is the video was never meant to be a comprehensive review of all the emotions in a hospital, although there are plenty of uplifting messages in it. Too bad you were too busy being offended to notice. Rather, the purpose of the video was to reinforce for an internal audience the importance if being empathetic and caring.

23. If they wanted to create the saddest and most hopeless video ever, they succeeded!

In 35 years in healthcare, I’ve never seen a hospital that didn’t have a lot of joy and hope amidst the worry, pain and despair. Too bad they didn’t give a realistic view of what a hospital is really like.

If this is what Cleveland Clinic is like, then give me Mayo any day!

Submit a Comment