Urachal cancer is one of the rarest and aggressive malignant diseases of the bladder; its incidence was 0.2% of all bladder cancers in 2012. It occurs in advanced stages, among stage IV tumors 58% die at 22 months. It is originated from urachal, an embryological structure that is present in 32% of the adult population.
To present a case series of urachal cancer in a third level medical facility.
Case series. Clinical data from patients with of urachal cancer during 2011 to 2019 were analyzed. The variables included were age, gender, smoking, clinical stage, treatment and evolution. Descriptive statistics, measures of central tendency and dispersion were used.
There were seven patients; three men and four women; the mean age was 54.4 years. The most frequent histological type was mucinous adenocarcinoma. Partial cystectomy was performed with bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy in three (42.8%) patients, radical cystectomy plus bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy in the remaining four (57.2% patients).
Urachal cancer is rare, clinical manifestations occur late. Hematuria is the most frequent clinical sign. The medium term prognosis is bad.