To evaluate efficacy and safety of trabeculectomy with mitomycin C (trab-MMC) for primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG) performed by ophthalmology trainees.
This was a six-year retrospective study of patients with primary trab-MMC with PACG performed by ophthalmology trainees in a tertiary urban eye center. Outcomes included intraocular pressure (IOP), number of medications, and complications.
There were 120 PACG eyes that underwent trab-MMC performed by trainees. The mean follow-up duration was 28.6 ± 20.8 months. At 24 months, postoperative IOP decreased from 32.1 ± 12.0 mm Hg to 14.8 ± 6.9 mm Hg (p<0.0001) with decrease in glaucoma medications [0 (0), 0-2; p<0.0001]. Half of surgeries, 64/120 (53.8%) utilized MMC-onlay and the other half, 55/120(46.2%) received MMC sub-tenon injection. Half 60/120 (50.4%) utilized releasable sutures. Majority 55/120 (46.2%) utilized conjunctival closure near the corneal limbus while 34/120 (28.6%) used a conjunctival skirt. Cumulative complete surgical success rates were 63.3%, 55.83%, and 42.5% at 6, 12, and 24 months, respectively. Most complications were minor, including high IOP (25.0%), bleb leaks (13.3%), and cystic blebs (15.0%). Bleb needling was the most common (24.2%) post-op surgical intervention.
Among supervised ophthalmology trainees in the Philippines, trab-MMC for PACG was effective in lowering IOP long term and decreasing glaucoma medications, and surgical success rates were generally comparable with trainee studies from first world nations. Complications were minor and not sight threatening.