TUESDAY, Aug. 17, 2021 (HealthDay News) — Ten million high-powered magnetic balls and cubes have been recalled in the United States because they pose a risk for serious injury or death if swallowed, a new report shows.

“Zen Magnets LLC is aware of two children who ingested Zen Magnets and required surgery to remove the magnets and parts of their intestines and bowels,” the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said in a news release. “In addition, CPSC is aware of other reports of children and teenagers ingesting high-powered magnets and requiring surgery. A 19-month-girl died after ingesting similar high-powered magnets.”

The news release said that Zen refused to issue a voluntary recall, so the CPSC sued the Colorado-based company to force a mandatory recall. It includes all Zen Magnets and Neoballs magnets, which are high-powered 5-mm spherical magnets. Zen Magnets were sold individually and in sets of 72; 216 with six spares; and 1,728 with eight spares. Neoballs were sold individually and in sets of eight colors — silver, gold, red, orange, green, red, blue, and purple.

The products were sold online at Neoballs.com and ZenMagnets.com beginning in January 2009 for $12 to $264 per set, or individually for 6 cents to 10 cents per magnet.

From 2009 to 2018, there were two deaths in the United States, and at least 4,500 cases related to small magnet ingestion were treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments. Most involved children between 11 months and 16 years of age, according to the CPSC.

More Information

Copyright © 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.