Lynne Peterson is the Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine.
Here is the medical news to watch for in the week leading up to Labor Day – Aug. 31-Sept. 6, 2020.
Cardiology: The virtual European Society of Cardiology (ESC) meeting is continuing through Sept.1. Among the data to watch on Aug.t31 and Sept. 1 are:
- A healthy volunteer study of an RNAi inhibitor (Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals’ ARO-APOC3) for treating inherited apolipoprotein C-3 deficiency, and a study of RNAi inhibitor of ANGPTL3 with Arrowhead’s ARO-ANG3 in familial combined hypolipidemia.
- LoDoCo2 trial of low-dose colchicine in coronary disease.
- HOME-PE trial comparing hospitalization to outpatient management of pulmonary embolism patients.
- BRACE-CORONA trial of continuing vs. suspending ACE inhibitors and ARBs in Covid-19 patients.
- REALITY trial of transfusion strategies for myocardial infarction and anemia.
- The European Association for the Study of Obesity (EASO) annual conference, like all other medical conferences this year, is virtual. The ECOICO – a combined European Congress on Obesity and International Congress on Obesity – will take place Sept. 1-4. Log in for everything related to obesity.
- The European Congress of Endocrinology (ECE) virtual meeting will take place Sept. 5-9. Among the studies to watch are the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics data on an oral test for pediatric patients with suspected growth hormone deficiency – Aeterna Zentaris and Novo Nordisk’s Macrilen (macimorelin acetate, AEZS-130).
Hematology: The European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT) virtual meeting is continuing through Sept. 1. Among the data to watch is an interim analysis on Aug. 31 of a gene therapy – phase I/II trial results of Orchard Therapeutics’ OTL-203, an ex vivo autologous hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) gene therapy – in mucopolysaccharidosis type I (MPS-I).
- The FDA is expected to make a decision by Sept 3 on oral azacitidine (Bristol-Myers Squibb’s CC-486) for maintenance treatment of adults with acute myeloid leukemia (AML).
- The virtual Global Embolization Symposium & Technologies (GEST) conference will take place Sept. 4-6. This is a leading source for education on embolotherapy and interventional oncology. Discover the latest evolving techniques and technology in embolization.
Pain: The American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) annual meeting will take place virtually Sept. 4-6. The theme this year is “Comprehensive Physician and Practice Rehabilitation for the Survival of IPM.” Topics will include Covid-19, economics, burnout, social media, metabolic health, regulatory issues, and advances in interventional pain management.
Pulmonary: The FDA’s Pulmonary-Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee will hold a virtual review on Aug. 31 on a new label claim for reduction in all-cause mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) for GlaxoSmithKline and Innoviva’s Trelegy Ellipta (fluticasone furoate + umeclidinium + vilanterol).
Lynne Peterson, Contributing Writer, Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine
Cat ID: 204
Topic ID: 74,204,393,730,204,187,118,466,192,154,203