Lynne Peterson is the Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine.
Here is the medical news to watch for Nov. 8-14, 2021.
Allergy/asthma: The hybrid American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (ACAAI) meeting will wind up on Nov. 8.
Cardiology: The American Heart Association (AHA) Scientific Sessions will take place virtually Nov. 13-15. There will be seven late-breaking clinical trial sessions on hypertension, cardiac valve surgery, atrial arrhythmia, wearable devices/digital health, heart failure, prevention, and new drugs. Among the data to watch:
- Phase III results for Mesoblast’s rexlemestrocel-L, an allogeneic, autologous mesenchymal precursor cell therapy for heart failure.
- Phase III results from the REVERSE-IT trial of PhaseBio’s bentracimab (PB-2452), a ticagrelor reversal agent.
- The AVATAR trial of aortic valve replacement in asymptomatic aortic stenosis.
- The hybrid European Society of Gynecology (ESG) meeting will take place in Venice, Italy, and virtually Nov. 10-13. Among the topics to be covered: the role of estrogen in Covid-19, how to improve fertility, the latest news on menopause, updates on endometriosis and fibroids, and much more.
- The hybrid American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) Global Congress on MIGS (minimally-invasive gynecologic surgery) will take place Nov. 14-17 in Austin TX and virtually. The title says it all.
Hepatology: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD): The Liver Meeting will take place virtually Nov. 12-15. Expect the latest research on everything in hepatitis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), and more. Among the data to watch:
- Hepatitis B: Phase I and II trials of a variety of approaches, including:
- A core inhibitor (Enanta Pharmaceuticals’ EDP-514).
- A therapeutic viral vaccine (Vaccitech’s VTP-300).
- An siRNA (the REEF-1 trial of Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals and Johnson & Johnson’s JNJ-73763989).
- A capsid assembly modulator (Arrowhead and J&J’s JNJ-56136379).
- A GalXC RNAi therapeutic (Dicerna Pharmaceuticals’ RG-6346).
- An entry inhibitor (Vir Biotechnology’s VIR-3434).
- NASH and NAFLD: CohBar’s CB-4211 (an analog of MOTS-c), the LIFT trial of Terns Pharmaceuticals’ TERN-101 (a non-bile acid FXR agonist), and 89bio’s BIO89-100 (an FGF21 analog).
- Phase II data on Protagonist Therapeutics’ rusfertide (PTG-300) in hereditary hemochromatosis.
- Phase I results for Dicerna’s belcesiran in alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency-associated liver disease.
- Phase I/II data for BioNTech’s BNT-211 (a CAR T therapy) and BNT-411 (a TLR7 agonist) for solid tumors.
- The hybrid Clinical Trials on Alzheimer’s Disease (CTAD) meeting will take place in Boston and virtually Nov. 9-12. The theme is Therapeutic Trials in AD: A New Hope for 2022? Among the interesting topics: the role of cannabinoids, next-generation speech biomarkers, anti-tau approaches, vascular risk factors, and a panel discussion of the FDA’s approval of Biogen’s Aduhelm (aducanumab). Also watch for:
- Results from the failed Phase II/III GAIN trial of Cortexyme’s atuzaginstat.
- Top-line results from the Phase II LAURIET trial of AC Immune and Roche’s semorinemab.
- Data on Eisai and Biogen’s lecanemab (BAN-2401).
- The hybrid Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) meeting will take place in Washington DC and virtually Nov. 10-14. Among the interesting sessions and data will be:
- A debate on the future of engineered T cells and endogenous T cells on Nov. 12.
- A debate on declassification/deconvolution of T cell types, also on Nov. 12.
- Bladder cancer: Phase I results for Ikena Oncology’s IK-175 in combination with nivolumab.
- Glioma: Phase I results for Candel Therapeutics’ CAN-3110.
- Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: Phase II results from the ASPEN-04 trial of ALX Oncology’s ALX-148 + pembrolizumab.
- HPV+ oropharyngeal cancer: Phase I/Ib results for Corvus Pharmaceuticals’ mupadolimab (CPI-006).
- Melanoma: Phase Ib results for Checkmate Pharmaceuticals’ vidutolimod (CMP-001) + pembrolizumab.
- Merkel cell carcinoma: Phase II results for Incyte’s retifanlimab in the POD1UM-201 trial.
- Metastatic breast cancer: Phase IIb results for Immutep’s eftilagimod alpha, a LAG3.
- Ovarian cancer: Phase I results for Shattuck Labs’ SL-172154, a fusion protein.
- Solid tumors: Early results for BioNTech and Genmab’s BNT-312/GEN-1042 (a bispecific), Replimune’s RP2 + nivolumab, NextCure’s NC-410 (a fusion protein), and ViroCure’s oncolytic virus.
- The Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS) meeting is taking place virtually Nov. 10-13. Among the data to watch:
- Phase I results with Inhibrx’s INBRX-109 (a DR5 agonist) in chondrosarcoma and mesothelioma.
- Initial Phase II results from the SPEARHEAD-1 trial of Adaptimmune Therapeutics’ afamitresgene autoleucel (ADP-A2M4, afami-cel), a SPEAR T-cell therapy in synovial sarcoma or myxoid/round cell liposarcoma.
Ophthalmology: The hybrid American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) meeting will take place in New Orleans and virtually Nov. 12-15. Among the data to watch:
- Wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD): Phase IIb results from the ALTISSIMO trial of Graybug Vision’s GB-102 and Phase I results from the DAVIO trial of EyePoint Pharmaceuticals’ EYP-1901.
- Presbyopia: Phase II VEGA-1 trial of Ocuphire Pharma’s Nyxol (low-dose phentolamine) + low-dose pilocarpine eye drops.
- Diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema (DME): Phase II results from the ZETA-1 trial of Ocuphire Pharma’s APX-3330 (an AP endonuclease 1 inhibitor).
- Dry eye disease: Phase II results for Ocular Therapeutix’s OTX-CSI (intracanalicular cyclosporine insert).
- X-linked retinitis pigmentosa: Phase I/II results for Applied Genetic Technologies’ AGTC-501.
Pulmonology: The Respiratory Syncytial Virus Network (ReSViNET) meeting will take place virtually Nov. 10-12. This is a global conference focused on novel RSV preventive and therapeutic interventions, from vaccines to antibodies and antivirals. Among the data to watch: Phase II/III results from the MEDLEY trial of Sanofi and AstraZeneca’s nirsevimab, a passive immunotherapy for infants.
- The DIA’s virtual Advanced Therapies: Innovations in CMC Conference will take place Nov. 8-10. The focus is finding solutions for chemistry, manufacturing, and control (CMC) challenges in the development and commercialization of cell therapies, gene therapies, and gene editing products. Speakers will include Peter Marks, MD, PhD, director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), and other FDA officials as well as lead scientists from pharma and biotech firms.
- The FDA is hosting a webcast on Nov. 9 on long Covid risk factors.
- The FDA is hosting a virtual public workshop on Nov. 12 on orthopedic cartilage repair products.
Rheumatology: The virtual American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Convergence meeting is continuing through Nov. 10.
Lynne Peterson, Contributing Writer, Senior Writer for Trends-in-Medicine
Cat ID: 100
Topic ID: 80,100,730,232,111,230,935,100,328,130,191,192,725,195,158,234,925,240,428,229,231,233,327,427